Past Due Assignments
Date Due: 08/28/2018
Date Due: 09/05/2018
- Thanksgiving Break 11/19-11/23
- Please bring in food for the Can Drive!!!
- When we get back from break, students will receive a study guide for their "Early European Explorer" Quiz. The quiz will be on Friday, November 30th (Homeroom Only)
- Making of a Scientist Test- Thursday, November 29th (ELA)
- Homeroom: DARE ESSAYS due Tuesday, November 27th. (We will have time to type them in class).
- Students have begun meeting in Book Clubs in ELA, giving them a chance to listen and respond to each other in order to build their discussion habits. Ask your child what their specific role is in book club and what that job entails (Word Wizard, Character Captain, Discussion Director and Timeline Tracker)
- I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!! --Mrs. Becknell
- Red Ribbon Week this Week 10/22-10/25
- 5th Graders are invited to the Just Say No Pep Rally on Wednesday, October 24th! Homeroom students, please bring back permission slip by Tuesday, October 23rd!\
- Please check my calendar for upcoming test dates.
- Homeroom Class: Our first unit in Social Studies will end at the end of September. Instead of an assessment, students will be working on a project in class to create a Native American book that shows off what they have learned. Unit #2 will begin at the beginning of October and we will be learning about the European Explorers.
- Our first unit in ELA compliments what we are learning in Social Studies! Be sure to ask your students any connections they can make between the two subjects.
- In ELA, we are continuing to become stronger writers. Students are addressing written responses using the RACE strategy. This stands for: Restate the question- Answer the Question- Cite evidence from the text- Explain how your cited evidence used proves your answer. We are using this strategy in Social Studies too!
- Families- Please check your child's Reading Log periodically. Many of the ELA assignments that are graded are located in this spiral. Please ask students to bring it home from time to time in order to see some of the many grades with feedback that students are receiving.
- Due to the past couple of days being out of school, the Chapter #1 Birchbark House Test has been postponed to Monday, September 10th. (This will be an open book test)
Welcome to Ms. Becknell's Class!
It is going to be an exciting school year! I will be teaching ELA and Social Studies this year. This is my tenth year as a teacher and my first year at Pine View. I graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.S. in Middle Grades Education, specifically focusing on English and History. I taught for three years in my hometown of Atlanta, Georgia and have spent my last seven years teaching in New Orleans, LA.
I have a lot of exciting things planned for our students this year! In both ELA and Social Studies, there will be numerous ways for students to show what they have learned through independent and group work, projects and exploration into nonfiction/fiction texts and novels.
Please check the website frequently for information on assignments and other happenings in the classroom!
I believe the key to a successful year is being able to communicate regularly with you all, the families of our children. My line of communication is always open. Please feel free to call or email me at any time. You may also write notes for me in your child’s agenda, which I will check regularly. You can find my contact information below:
***PLEASE CHECK THE CALENDAR LINK FOR ASSIGNMENTS AND TESTS DATES**
Again, I look forward to an exciting year ahead and appreciate all you all are doing at home to help support your student.